Monday, April 16, 2012

Journal Review 1: Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants


Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants
By Marc Prensky
Summary:
Author Marc Prensky evaluates how the increased use of technology has divided students and teachers into Digital Natives and Digital Immigrants respectively. The Digital natives have grown up using many forms of technology and intuitive practice in the use of technology. The Digital Immigrants have learned the language of technology later in life, and struggle to fully assimilate to the new teaching methodologies dominated by technology. “But this is not a joke. It’s very serious, because the single biggest problem facing education today is that our Digital Immigrant instructors, who speak an outdated language (that of the pre-digital age), are struggling to teach a population that speaks an entirely new language” (Prensky). 

Bridging the gap is important to consider in order for our students to find value in their education. Helping teachers to readapt their style to include technology that motivates and inspires students is the next wave of educational reform. Prensky says that his talks “now include "thought experiments" where [he] invite[s] professors and teachers to suggest a subject or topic, and [he] attempt[s] - on the spot - to invent a game or other Digital Native method for learning it” (Marc, Prensky). The Digital Immigrants at times resist the new movement, but it is becoming increasingly clear that Digital education is at the forefront of teaching methods at this time.

Reaction:
This article really hit home for me. I did not grow up using technology and did not really start to depend on computers until college. Even though I am in the range of technology, I have a hard time deciding if I am part of the Digital Native or Immigrant population. I have learned quite a bit throughout the past years of work and continued education, and I know that the transition has been easier for me than some of my co-workers. Now that I am preparing to become a classroom teacher, the recognition that my technological skills must continue to increase is intimidating. I enjoy the ease and the professional look of graphics on a computer, but often times I feel that I have to pay more attention to the design then the content of the lesson. This article appealed to me because I know that I need to embrace the increased use of technology and will need to work harder to lose some of my ‘Immigrant accent.’ The most exciting recognition that I have made is that I can allow my students to teach me too! I would like to think that I am more of a Digital Native but will continue to develop my skills knowing that my classroom will be more adaptable for the needs of my future students.

Resource:
Prensky, Marc. Digital natives, digital immigrants. On The Horizon, 9(5), Retrieved from http://www.twitchspeed.com/site/Prensky - Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants - Part1.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment